No products in the cart
Egyptian beetles (Blaps polychresta) with Optional Kit
$12.50 – $40.00 excl. GST
Egyptian beetles are a species of beetle found in Africa, but introduced to South Australia, but isn’t considered a pest. They are common in chicken coops and aviaries, where they eat bird and rodent droppings.
They are extremely easy to care for and long lived, however they have a horrible defensive chemical smell they emit when pestered. They are not picky about moisture, it is best to keep the enclosure dry to avoid mould.
They grow to around 6-7cm in length
For moisture they will feed on:
Fresh pieces of vegetables and fruit such as Carrot, Apple, Pumpkin, Lettuce, Zucchini, Sweet potato, Swede, Grape, etc.
Dry food such as:
- Tropical fish flakes (Mix about 50/50 with rolled oats)
- Crushed dry dog food (Not cat food, too high in protein)
- Cooked rice (Use in conjuncture with a high-protein food such as fish flakes, dog food or darkling beetle food)
- Darkling beetle food available on request
Food should be offered in a small dish.
Optional Kit includes
- 2 x Egyptian Beetles
- Enclosure (see picture gallery)
- Cocopeat substrate
- Bark Hide
- Rolled Oats
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.